[TowerTalk] tower tips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower tips
From: rudym@net-link.net (Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD)
Date: Tue Feb 11 14:20:54 2003
Good one on the metric/SAE "Crescent wrench.  Technically it is an ajustable
open-end wrench.  In certain circles it is known as a "hillbilly socket set".
Good to have one of these in your bag.

Tie a loop of nylon cord around the middle of each wrench.  Slip this over your
wrist.  You then let go of the wrench and start nuts and bolts.  Often you need
two wrenches to tighten--so you have on on each hand.

I put some small loops of nylon cord on my sholder straps, above the chest
cross piece on my harnes.  I have several small carbiners on this about 1.5"
long to hang the wrenches on for quick access.  When done, I toss them back in
the bag.

I like the idea of two bags--one for parts and one for tools.  I found some
sort of surplus army bags that have plastic stiffeners in them to keep them
open, leg straps, and top flaps.  About the size of a gallon milk jug.  Works
well as does the bucket with the Bucket Boss tool insert.

Carry two rolls of black electic tape and 2 rolls of coax seal.  You may drop
on.

Carry plastic zip ties.  Also something to cut them with.

Always wear gloves when moving up or down on the tower and when pulling up or
letting down rope.

Wear sun protection lotion.

I like button up shirts with two pockets.  Tuck them in, undo a couple of
buttons and you have instant storage for your gloves when in position.

Take you time.  If you have a one hour job, allow for the whole afternoon and
take your time.

Do as much on the ground as you can--but don't so so much that you can't manage
it up top.

Use a pulley on the bottom of the tower so your line man does not have to stand
under you or what is going up the tower.
Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD