[TowerTalk] Digging the hole - WARNING

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Digging the hole - WARNING
From: s57ad@amis.net (Sibilja Mirko)
Date: Thu Feb 20 16:27:59 2003
Hi TTers,

I agreee with Steve that digging such a hole is dangerous due to side
sloughing. Several years ago I was nearly burried while 6' * 6' * 6' hole
sloughed - fortunatelly I climbed out just minute before that happened...
Besides tha, hiring a backhoe is less expensive than digging manually.
Our local club hired four men to dig four 4' * 4' * 6* holes, it took a
whole weekend (Saturday & Sunday) to be finished, and people asked $ 600 for
the job, besides food and drink (in Slovenia, it is usual to offer food and
drink beside payment for the job). Few weeks after that job was done, I
chatted over beer with a friend who owes backhoe and asked how much it would
cost to do such a job. He told he asks $ 100/hour - one hour drive to the
location (10 miles) and one hour back, and four holes could be diggen within
an hour, so alltogether it wouldn't cost more than $ 300! (Of course, hour
rates in the States are different than here)...

73  Mirko S57AD