[TowerTalk] Relays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Relays
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue Feb 25 14:00:17 2003
At 06:16 PM 2/25/03 +0100, Mikael Larsmark wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I wonder what kind of relays should I pick when building antenna
>switches. The coax relays are to expensive so that is not an option.
>
>I have actually used car relays for a while and they seem to work
>quite ok. I would like to know though what ratings should I suppose
>to look after? How many amps, the width between the "connectors"
>etc. should they handle? Of course this depends on how much
>SWR and power I'm using but if I say that they should handle
>1.5kW and an SWR of 2:1, atleast!?!

The relays used in the TopTen relay box, which has quite a good reputation
among contesters, are NAiS JW1FSN, 12VDC coil, with contacts rated 10A @
250 V AC.  They cost ~ US$2 from the usual suppliers in the US.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm