[TowerTalk] End fed vertical HELP PLEASE.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] End fed vertical HELP PLEASE.
From: olinger@bellsouth.net (olinger@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Mar 18 23:41:49 2003
Actually, they're not working without a "ground". You still have to have a
current "sink" for the current on the shield.

End-fed half waves are common enough. Feeding at the end means a network to
feed the antenna at a voltage feed. Typically a parallel tuned circuit with one
end to "ground" and the other to the 1/2 wave. It is fed from coax a few turns
up from the bottom with the shield to the "ground" end of the coil.

The half wave end-feds I have seen were 2 meter jobs. At the low current levels
experienced with hw endfeeds, the capacitance from the magmount to the car roof
is more than adequate to provide a ground. Lacking that, the feedline shield
carries the current.

A half-wave on CB is over 16 feet. Don't recall seeing any true end-fed
halfwave whips on CB. Would clang on interstate overpasses, for one thing. It
would have to have been center loaded to get the feed impedance up. The trick
is to fix it so you don't have to have a *high* current connection to ground. A
reasonable 1/2 wave fake would have a loading coil in the center of the whip to
turn it into an electrical 1/2 wave.

Guy, K2AV