[TowerTalk] worm drives

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] worm drives
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (VE6JY Don Moman)
Date: Tue Mar 25 01:10:25 2003
With SAFETY in mind, do not always assume that a worm drive can never be
driven by the load. Not all worm drives are created equally. A low ratio
(15:1 possibly) worm can be driven by the load.  I have a couple of them
that I had used as a small winch (drum added) for antenna/tower work until I
discovered this trait first hand.  The higher ratio, typically 60:1 worms
and certainly any of the double worms are likely to break something WAY
before they will turn backwards.

73 Don
VE6JY