[TowerTalk] Cushcraft D40

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft D40
From: mike@hatzakis.net (Michael Hatzakis, Jr)
Date: Mon Apr 7 21:36:37 2003
Just got a Cushcraft D40 to go on top of my Steppir at around 75'.  A few
novice questions.

First, trying to tune it prior to installation.  A few feet above the
ground, it's resonance is 6.8mhz, about 8feet (on one tv antenna pole) it's
resonance is 7.00 mhz when it is set per instructions to the length
indicated for 7.140 (mid-point).  How high do I need to get it to get a
realiztic read on it's resonance point?

Second question, the instructions say, no foam coax for the balun, why is
this?  All I had handy in my shack was RG-8x, which I think is the foam
type...

Third question, can someone send me a photo of how they re-inforced the ends
of the elements to reduce sag?

Thanks, Michael  K3MH