[TowerTalk] Rohn TB3 Bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB3 Bearing
From: kk9a@arrl.net (kk9a@arrl.net)
Date: Wed Apr 9 13:36:21 2003
I purchased a Rohn TB3 bearing from Texas Towers which did not turn very
smoothly and often times jammed when turning it by hand.  I exchanged it for
a different one (thanks Gerald) which seemed a little better.  The new TB3
was still not smooth, but at least it turned without jamming.  I installed
it on top of a 70' tower in Aruba and after several months I checked it and
this one also jambs when turning it by hand.  The rotor so far has been able
to turn it.   On my Rohn 65 tower in Illinios I have a Create bearing on a
3" mast which I am  very happy with, unfortunately I don't believe that they
are still available.  Is the Rohn bearing junk and is there something better
that will fit a Rohn 55 tower?

73,
John  KK9A / P40A