[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters
From: n8de@thepoint.net (Don Havlicek)
Date: Thu Apr 17 22:10:59 2003
Steve,
My Universal towers [properly installed] have never been uncomfortable
to climb, nor have they ever swayed while being climbed.
As for adding 'emergency guys', I've never done it, but do agree that
they MIGHT be useful in strong winds which exceed the rated tower load,
despite the "prime directive".
I have lost three towers to tornadoes ... no amount of guying would have
saved them .. especially the direct hit which ripped the tower from the
base, twisted all the antennas like pretzels and tossed the whole thing
down on top of my minivan.
Don
N8DE