[TowerTalk] anchor failure from corrosion?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] anchor failure from corrosion?
From: eric@K3NA.ORG (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Thu May 1 08:18:37 2003
I saw this happen on a tower where the anchor did not have a forged eye, but
terminated in a threaded section.  A forged eye had
been attached with a threaded coupling.  The coupling was pinned in place with
a cotter pin to prevent the eye from rotating off the
anchor rod.

Unfortunately the cotter pin corroded and the galvanizing began sacrificing
itself.  Eventually the rod rusted through.  Fortunately
this was a lightly loaded tower in a sheltered location of relatively short
height (compared to the tower's inherent sturdiness).
Furthermore, each guy level was independently anchored.  No damage was done
when one of the anchor rods separated below grade one
day and the guy became slack.  All the anchors were quickly replaced.

-- Eric K3NA