[TowerTalk] 4el SteppIR at Dayton?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4el SteppIR at Dayton?
From: olinger@bellsouth.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue May 20 13:04:12 2003
I would estimate that the principal loss is in the maximum f/b possible on a
given band. However, in a fixed yagi the maximum f/b only occurs at a given
frequency and drops off either side. Meaning that the StepIR can possibly beat
it at the band edges, or at the unfavored end, even on 10m where the f/b is
really a compromise.

For those whose upper lip goes into an uncontrollable quiver when the SWR meter
shows more than 1.1:1, the StepIR may be your answer. (Huge audience here...)

For those whose linear drops out on grid over-current when the SWR goes over a
certain level, the StepIR may be your answer.

For those who can get up exactly ONE rotatable antenna, and do contests, AND
love the WARC bands, the StepIR may be your answer.

We are getting into a year's worth of field experience. Have not heard any
howls yet.

Probably not a good idea any more to be dismissive of it's technology. Starting
to look like a keeper with a list of advantages which mate well with certain
circumstances, and only moderate disadvantages, which do not always apply.

And that from a Force 12 fan.

73, Guy.