[TowerTalk] OR-2800 pigtail connector

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OR-2800 pigtail connector
From: K4BEV@aol.com (K4BEV@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 31 08:45:26 2003
K9RB@bellsouth.net writes:
<<  I've found the most reliable rotator connector, by far, is the
automotive flat rubber trailer connectors that come with pigtails.........

Don't ya just love cheap, easy, elegant solutions that actually work?
The above is one of 'em.

I'd like to add -
Put a bit of antioxidant stuff on each wire before you crimp it. It doesn't
take much.
Also, use the correct size butt splice and, as Rog points out, the correct
tool.
I usually spray the joint with a spray silicone before covering it, but this
may be overkill.

Personally, I prefer the uninsulated connectors and heat-shrink tubing method
of installation. Some of the covers on the insulated ones are pretty brittle
and leave a lump, like a snake that just swallowed something. When you're done
you have a bunch of wires and this big lump at the splice.
The uninsulated type (or just remove the insulation if that's all you can
find) makes a much neater job of it.

73, Don - K4BEV