[TowerTalk] Langmuir Labs and lightning...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Langmuir Labs and lightning...
From: brewerj@squared.com (brewerj@squared.com)
Date: Mon Jun 2 09:14:06 2003
"Barry L. Ornitz" <ornitz@tricon.net>  says::

<snip>

"The article was written by researchers at Langmuir Labs of the
University of Arizona where there is a significant research
program on lightning and its abatement. "

Small point, but Langmuir is part of the NM Tech Univ, not U of A.

http://bat.nmt.edu/

I've been to their site (and into the bunkers under which the
triggering missiles are shot) and it's a fascinating place.
It's on a mountain ridgeline, and overlooks hundreds of square
miles. The top of the building is a large glass (1" thick?) dome
reinforced between panes, with what looks to be heavy iron strap.

I am sure the view of lighting hits from that vantage point would
be spectacular.  If you're ever in the area (which would make you
a serious desert rat and explorer) you can usually get tours from the
co-op students who work there.

John K5MO