[TowerTalk] Unique RFI/Grounding system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Unique RFI/Grounding system
From: baycock@direcway.com (Bill Aycock)
Date: Mon Jun 2 21:15:26 2003
I have seen several references to the UFER ground, which has two
interesting things to be said for it.  1>- it was downplayed, STRONGLY, by
the ARRL for years, despite   2. It was a standard for safety grounding of
explosive storage buildings by the military.  I don't think the ARRL
realizes how much their reputation suffered in the past because of the
position they took re this system. "If you have a hit, your base will
explode because of the steam"

I worked for 38 years in  a 1000 acre plant full of explosive storage
buildings and sensitive laboratories. All  permanent buildings had
"Lightening "rods terminating in heavy braided copper cable,
underground.  So far as I know, the only strike we ever had to a building
was to a Chem Lab which had had its grounding system cut by a roofing
contractor.