[TowerTalk] Aluminum vs. Steel Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum vs. Steel Tower
From: jlsmith5@qwest.net (John Smith (KI7V))
Date: Sun Jun 15 13:56:22 2003
Hello all,

I have never had a tower, so I am currently in the exploration stage of
determining what type of tower to purchase.  I recently ran into an ad for a 60
Ft. Universal free standing aluminum tower that has been disassembled and is on
the ground.  I don't plan on putting up a monster array or anything, so this
seems like a pretty good choice?  I like the idea of an aluminum tower because
it would be easier to hoist up the sections during assembly.  I wanted to know
if there are any disadvantages to an aluminum tower vs. a steel tower.  Are
they as strong as steel towers?  This tower is a 9-60 series tower, however the
top two sections are larger which adds to the strengh and increases the load
rating somewhat.  I only plan on putting up a 3 or 4 el yagi tri-bander or
maybe a 2-el multiband quad like the lightning bolt.

Thanks,
John - KI7V