[TowerTalk] Re: Do I need to climb my tubular tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Do I need to climb my tubular tower?
From: hwardsil@centurytel.net (Ward Silver)
Date: Thu Jun 19 22:12:24 2003
Hi Dave,

I have a similar situation (MA-550 bolted to the house) and here's what has
worked well for climbing it.

Make bolt-on steps of angle aluminum and all-thread rod.  The angle aluminum
should be at least 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" - the bigger the better for strength and
comfort.  A square tube will also work - go root around at a surplus metal
dealer or Home Depot and you'll find what you need.  The all-thread should
be at least 3/8" diameter.

Cut the all-thread into two-foot long pieces and use the tower as a mandrel
to bend the rod into U-shapes.  Don't try to just bend it without the tower
because it won't bend with the right radius.  Drill the angle to fit the
homemade U-bolts.  Use jam nuts on the back side of the angle to prevent the
steps from working loose.  Drill a 1/4" hole at each end of the angle so
that a  1" to 1-1/2" bolt can be put in sticking up and out of the step.
This keeps your foot from sliding off the step.

Build as many of these steps as you need and you'll be able to climb
comfortably up the tower to a height at which it's easy to work at rotor
level.

Now, the beam.  Since you have obstructions at the base, the easiest thing
will be to assemble the beam at the tower top. Since there's no guy wires,
rig a gin pole (a 2x4 will work for this and should be at least six feet
above the tower top) clamped to the tower and pull up the boom attached at
its center.  Then pull up each element in sequence to attach it.  Once the
beam gets top-heavy due to the elements you've attached, I'll bet you can
flip it over and work on the other half.  It will take some doing, and
probably a little four-letter lube now and then, but you'll be able to get
the job done safely.

73, Ward N0AX