[TowerTalk] Texas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Texas
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Tue Jul 1 12:46:17 2003
On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:14:28PM -0400, KG4QDZ wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> This is about site selection for my future tower(s) and antennas, and mostly
> for folks on the list in Texas, so please reply privately if you can.
>
> What are antenna restrictions like in TX in general, and specifically where
> you live? I am interested in locating a new QTH and would like to know the
> specifics in the various areas, as well as where you would choose if
> deciding again.

Here is what the Central Texas DX & Contest Club (Austin and surrounding areas)
has compiled:

http://www.ctdxcc.org/localregs/

The state of Texas _is_ one of the states with a PRB-1 state law in place.

> - Are there any areas in TX you would recommend staying away from, or
> recommend going to, for someone moving to TX and why? I lean more to the
> do-it-yourself and minimal-government areas....

In the Austin area, by far the most egregious local regulations are in
the suburb of Bee Cave (http://www.ctdxcc.org/localregs/beecave.html)
I have never seen an ordinance that was worse.  On the other hand,
Georgetown (another Austin susburb) has no antenna ordinances at all
(except possibly in the downtown historic district, where I think
everything needs approval.)

Something to consider in Texas is the existence of "extra-territorial
jurisdictions," unincorporated land that is within a few miles of an
incorporated municipality, where the municipality basically has reserved
the option of annexation.  The ordinances/permit rules in the ETJ can
be different from either municipality or county ordinances/permit rules.
Our local saying is that in the ETJ, no one can hear you scream.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops