[TowerTalk] Bending Rebar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bending Rebar
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Wed Jul 2 12:59:10 2003
One uses a rebar bending tool (looks like a conduit bender) to get nice bends.
Alternate approach is to get a piece of iron pipe of sufficient ID that the
rebar will slide inside and use it as a tool on the end being moved, along
with your foot (shod in appropriate reasonably rigid footwear.. flipflops
won't do) on the unbent part.  Leverage is the key, as is concentrating the
load at a small enough area.  You could probably nail up a nice fixture for
the fixed part out of a few scraps of 2x4. I find that a couple of pieces
of 2x6, one on the ground, and one to go over the rebar that I can put a
foot on, make a nice improvised vise.

ALthough I haven't tried it, a standard electrical conduit bender would
probably work

Heating --> change metallurgical properties --> Bad

Jim, W6RMK.