[TowerTalk] Insurance claim

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Insurance claim
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 3 14:09:45 2003
In a message dated 7/3/03 8:31:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time, w7xu@iw.net
writes:

> Assume your antennas and towers were destroyed by a tornado (as mine
>  were last week).  Would you expect your insurance company to pay only
>  for the replacement costs of what you lost, or would you expect them
>  to also pay for the towers and antennas to be erected by a commercial
>  tower company?  We're talking about a lot of work (3 towers over 130
>  ft., plus 2 others damaged and 44 antennas destroyed.  Negotiations
>  with my insurance company are in progress.

    First, towers and appurtenances are either covered as an additional
structure or as personal property so your insurance company is typically on the
hook in any case. Replacement value is something you'll have to check your
policy
for.

    Here's what you need to consider: 1) cost of removal by professionals
(could be a dangerous job and require a crane or other equipment); 2) disposal
costs; 3) purchase of replacement hardware - and I mean EVERYTHING; 4) assembly
of antennas, cables, etc.; 5) installation of all of the above.

    Next, your insurance claims adjuster has never seen a tower claim before
so he/she doesn't have a clue about the assorted costs. They'll be real happy
to use an estimate from a professional tower company that you provide them. My
company, TOWER TECH, does this all the time.

    Finally, your insurance company wants you to use a professional roofing
company to fix a damaged roof and they expect you to use a professional tower
company to do the work on your claim. Be sure to use professionals for anything
even slightly dangerous.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -