[TowerTalk] Is my 5 el 10 detuning my 4 el 40? ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is my 5 el 10 detuning my 4 el 40? ?
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon Jul 7 16:13:08 2003
Scott,

A couple of questions:

1) Where are you measuring the impedance - at the
feedpoint or through a length of coax?

2) If through a length of coax, how long and what type?

3) Did you cross over the conductors of the parallel metal
strip feedline on the 40 meter dual driven element to get
the 180 deg phase shift?

4) Are you sure the metal strips that form the parallel
feedline on the 40 meter dual driven element aren't
shorted together?

If you are measuring thru a feedline, my guess is
that you have a short somewhere on the parallel
strip transmission line. The periodic variation of the
impedance would be consistent with a short circuit
being rotated in phase around the smith chart by
a ~200' long feedline. The 5:1 (versus infinite)
VSWR would be due to the finite loss of the
transmission line (~1.7dB one-way loss). If the
short is far enough from the balun (~1/4 wave),
it will get reflected back to the balun as an
open. This would explain why you might get good
VSWR on 15 meters (the driven elements of the
40M4 are resonant here) where the distance
between the driven elements on the 40M4 is
probably getting close to a 1/4 wave on 15
meters. You can check for this by disconnecting
the metal strip feeders from the balun so you
are only using 1 driven element. If there is a short
on the other end of the metal strip line, you should
see a dip in VSWR at around 7 MHz when you
disconnect it from the feedpoint.

I doubt the 10 meter antenna is having much
affect.

73 de Mike, W4EF.....................