[TowerTalk] Is my 5 el 10 detuning my 4 el 40? ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is my 5 el 10 detuning my 4 el 40? ?
From: w4pa@yahoo.com (Scott R.)
Date: Mon Jul 7 16:47:56 2003
Scott

>Your problem is really perplexing.  Suggestions:  Was the beam
>functioning OK
>before the installation of the 10 meter antenna?

Unknown, as the 10 meter antenna went on the mast first.

>Perhaps the phasing harness
>is shorting out...it can happen if you don't put some sort of
>insulation on them.  Since the SWR is close to what a bad balun would
>show, my guess is it is
>somewhere in the balun/phasing harness coax.  I would suggest putting
>the MFJ
>259 on a very short piece of coax to the balun to see what you have.
>Let me know what happens.
>Bill  K4XS

We're fairly certain this is not the balun, after trying the stock
KLM 4:1, a new Radio Works 4:1 and (just for why not? value) a
Radio Works 1:1.  All showed the same results.  It didn't seem to
matter what balun of the 3, or which of the three pieces of coax
we tried (2 short ones, one long RG213) were connected.

On the phasing harness, the stock separators looked pretty chintzy.
We ended up adding PVC spacers to the driven element phasing
harness while the antenna was still on the ground in an attempt
to keep them from shorting.

Scott W4PA