[TowerTalk] Tower/Antenna Choices (was Boom Support Guys)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower/Antenna Choices (was Boom Support Guys)
From: regates@kingwoodcable.com (Bob Gates)
Date: Wed Jul 9 18:34:45 2003
Yuri, Don and Tom-

Many thanks for the feedback on guying the boom.  Much appreciated.  And Tom,
this move late in life will be a snap compared to the other 14 moves we've had
over the past 30 years.  I was never in a place long enough for the concrete to
cure on a tower base.  In fact, have been QRT since 1979 when we moved back to
the states from Curacao.  I had asked about guys because of the antennas I am
trying to decide on, and would appreciate any feedback from the list on my
current thoughts.

For a tower, I am basically set on US Tower's 89' HDX-589MDPL self-supporting,
motorized crank-up.  At this point in my life (read "age"), I'm not into
erecting/climbing or working on a guyed 90' tower.  If anyone has recent
experience with one of UST's towers, or their factory support, would appreciate
your opinions.  They used to have a solid reputation and I had one of their
towers back in the '60s.  For antennas, I'm considering one of two combinations.
One option is a Cubex Mantis 4-ele quad, with 2-ele on 40.  They use the boom
guying arrangement I mentioned earlier, which is awkward.  The other combination
I'm thinking of is a 4-ele Steppir tribander stacked about 8' over a Force 12
Magnum 340N, a 3-ele 40 meter yagi.  Again, I seek your opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Bob  KG7KW
ex K7INE, PJ9KW