[TowerTalk] Re: lightning suppression on cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: lightning suppression on cable
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Sat Jul 12 12:53:39 2003
Hello, again;

In days of old, before everything had electronic components, the
threshold voltage above which appliances were damaged was quite high and
the threshold for the power cords was, in some cases, about the same as
that for motors and other electromechanical components.  The power cords
on the AC units broke down and protected the other components.  Either a
small increase in impedance or a physical decrease in breakdown voltage,
both affected by tying knots, may have caused the cord to fail first.

Lightning threatens people and equipment, especially solid state
equipment.  Shield your equipment with high impedance devices at the
point of entrance into the shack and with  multiple low impedance paths
to ground, via multiple ground rods and as many Ufer grounds as you have
available outside the shack.

73 de WO?W