[TowerTalk] Rotator questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator questions
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Wed Jul 16 01:05:22 2003
My tower project has finally progressed to the
point that I need to install a rotator.  The
antenna will be a 4 element steppir Yagi, with
a wind area of 9 sq ft, 32 foot boom.  I currently
have the following rotators:

Kenpro KR-1000SDX w/controller, which the
seller said has controller problems.

Two rotators stamped "H IV S1 AUG 84" and
"H IV S1 APR 86" that look like Ham IV (or
Ham anything) rotators and I am guessing
the markings indicate Ham IV. The seller at the
swap meet said (I vaguely remember) at least
one worked, and maybe the other, or if not,
it's a parts unit.

A T2X tailtwister controller (I do not have
any Ham IV controllers).

1.  Does the T2X controller work with the
Ham IV rotators?

2.  Is the Kenpro such a great rotator that
it is worth fooling with the complex controller?
Does Yaesu, Encomm, or anyone else support
this unit with spare parts?  I am inclined
to put this unit back in the junkbox for future
tower projects.

3.  I am thinking the Ham IV's will be far
easier to get working in terms of support, etc.
I want to get the tower on the air in time for
fall contests.

Thanks in advance.

Rick N6RK