[TowerTalk] Plumbing > Hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Plumbing > Hardline
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed Jul 16 21:15:52 2003
I have several similar plumbers delight RF connectors...

We used to have a metal turning lathe which was very handy for taking a
compression coupling and cutting it in half, you only need one side of
the coupling...

I have also found that the compression fittings have a "ring" that
slides over the copper tube, when the nit os tightened this makes the
"seal"... this ferrule is, on some CATV line, just a little too small a
diameter to let the hardline pass through it.  I simply cut it with some
HD dikes and once it is inside the nut and under compression it seems to
hold just fine...

I am a big fan of phenolic (old fashioned) PL259's - recommend them when
you are doing surgery like center pin removal, too... the ones with
Teflon (mebbe not, simply white plastic) would rather fall apart than
machine out...

It is a bit time consuming to fabricate these but they do work...

FWIW on a related (free coax thread) I am reminded of the technique used
by W3AU for splicing his TV hardline runs - he had the stuff everywhere
at his FL QTH...

Ed would obtain some tubing which had an ID the same as the OD of the
hardline...

He would expose the center conductor on either side of the splice....

Then he would slide a short length of the tubing over one side of the
splice...

The center conductors would be soldered together - if you wanna get
fancy you can get some brass tubing at a hobby shop to act as a "double
female" for the center conductor...

Ed would then take some insulation from opening up the hard line and
"re-pack" it in the area of the splice to keep the center conductor in
the center... then, he would slide that piece of tubing over the whole
mess and hose clamp it shut...

Apply weatherproofing - voila - inexpensive splice!

Simple is good!  Imagine you do see an impedance bump there - but at HF
frequencies it is negligible!

73,

K4OJ