[TowerTalk] W1JR Balun: choking impedance and powerdissipation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] W1JR Balun: choking impedance and powerdissipation
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Fri Jul 18 14:42:52 2003
At 2:09 PM -0400 7/18/03, N2TK, Tony wrote:
>Would there be a recommendation to have one design for the high bands
>(40-160M) and one for the high bands (10-30M)? If so, how many turns
>through the core would be recommended for each?

If I had separate feedlines for high and low bands, I would indeed
use differently-designed common-mode chokes.  I'd probably use
FT-240-61 toroids in both; and, to determine the numbers of turns to
use in each, I'd measure impedance vs. frequency with different
numbers of turns.  I haven't done this yet, and I leave for vacation
early tomorrow morning and haven't begun to pack, so I can't do it
for at least a couple of weeks.  I suspect that W1JR already has this
info in hand.

-Chuck, w1HIS