[TowerTalk] KFI to get new guy wires!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KFI to get new guy wires!
From: wrt@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue Jul 22 22:38:51 2003
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:07:02 -0700, Dino Darling <k6rix@arrl.net>
wrote:

>I was told today that KFI (640khz AM) is getting a new set of (6) guy wires
>the first full week in August.  The tower is over 750' tall and has 2 sets
>of 3 guy wires each.  I'm told (unofficially) that there is over 20' of sag
>in the original guy wires.
>
>Is anyone from this list working on this project?  I plan on being there to
>watch/learn and take pictures.
>
>Pictures of the tower/guy system...
>http://www.qsl.net/ad7db/kfi.html

Fascinating.  Will they shut down the TX during replacement?  Their
current schedule is 24/7.  I listen to them all the time and have
never heard them off air, although it surely must have happened.

Trivia question:  Where did the "FI" in KFI come from?

Scroll down for the answer.

Answer:  KFI was originally tasked with reporting Farm Information
back in the olden days.

--
73, Bill W7TI