[TowerTalk] mast recommendation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mast recommendation
From: weightdn@adelphia.net (Mike Rhodes)
Date: Mon Aug 4 21:04:45 2003
Thom,
  I would think that a piece of 1026 alloy (2in OD, 1.5in ID) should be
adequate for your loads, less expensive, and off-the-shelf. You may still
have a little trouble finding a 24 foot piece as most everyone will be
dealing with random lengths but you may get lucky right off the bat. They
will at least be able to tell you what they have available because it should
not be special order.
  Then get some good rustproofing paint such as POR ( http://www.por15.com )
or Zero-Rust ( http://www.zerorust.com ) and paint it up. I used POR and the
mast got a little nicked up as I pulled it up thru the tower but not nearly
as badly as the previous mast that I used spray-on galvanizing on. If I was
doing it again I would probably give Zero-Rust a try, mainly because it
looks to be about half the cost.

Good luck and 73 de
Mike / W8DN