[TowerTalk] ma550 tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ma550 tower
From: jimjarvis@comcast.net (Jim Jarvis)
Date: Tue Aug 5 07:49:02 2003
I've had two of these things, so far.  One house
mounted with top rotor, the other freestanding with a base rotor.

They'll hold a small tribander with no problem.  I've had
kt34A and and a Tennadyne t8 on them, and each rode through
80mph winds with a smile.  (not at the same time!)

Some physical/aesthetic considerations:

The rotor base/tiltover is large, and requires significant
concrete in the ground.

House bracketed is therefore easier to implement.

However, these are the world's largest wind chimes.  If attached
to the frame of your house, expect to hear a rotational grinding
sound which sounds like a banshee, and a windchime-like clanging
at low frequency.  My first one was attached outside our bedroom.
Gusty winds made it hard to sleep.

I'm planning one at my new place in MD, with a steppir yagi on top.

However, I want to design a rotor base and house bracket/bearing
system such that I can house bracket it, base rotate it, and have
acoustic isolation from the house frame.  Done properly, the bracket
will have a winch attachment for single handed layover or installation.

While I believe what I just described is the least visually intrusive,
the standard rotor base and tiltover fixture is the easiest way to proceed.
Plan on base plantings to hide the thing, and a big hole in the ground.

Jim, n2ea