[TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Wed Aug 6 21:40:07 2003
Our local electric power company just finished putting in a new line.  It is to
be
commissioned shortly.  It is a 230kV line,  about 50km and also has a fibre
optic
cable (for communications and control).  There are 290 poles.  The first line
was put
in 1897 and a pole put in about that time, still in use, has a service record
of 105
yrs.  Wooden pole were used as they have a history of good durability, less
cost
than steel and weigh about 30% less  than steel.  Easier for the helicopters.

To me the significant point was the fibre optic line.  That is what all the
power
companies should have to do.  Who knows they might even be able to compete
with the cable and telcos for long distance.

Chris opr VE7HCB