[TowerTalk] TA-33Jr.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TA-33Jr.
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen, Esq.)
Date: Thu Aug 7 20:41:30 2003
Ken,

The TA-33jr. was my fist and last "real" HF antenna.  After college, I moved
from one gated community to another to the point where all I have are
stealth antennas in the back yard.  I would love to have my TA-33jr back
again.

30 years ago, I purchased the TA-33jr for exactly $95.95 (then known on the
bands as WN9JCG).  I know because I saved all the money I had from a paper
route to buy it.  Performance on all three bands was quite good for a
12-foot boom.  It rested nicely on a 50-foot Rohn tower with a ten foot
mast.  I was in heaven when that antenna went up.  By today's standards, I
suspect that the TA-33 and its progeny do not perform as well as
computer-aided designs.

The SWR F/B, and relative gain of that antenna was very on all bands.
Everything worked fine until the day I received a SB-230 Heathkit amplifier
for my birthday.  Upon tuning up the amp into the antenna for the first
time, I melted the driven element traps.  At that time, Mosely had just
produced a "MP" driven element as a replacement driver element for use with
higher power transmitters to 1KW.  The reflector and director elements were
left alone.  After the conversion, I never had a single problem with that
antenna in northern Illinois for many years until I sold it to help fund
college expenses.

-Paul, W9AC