[TowerTalk] Rebar cage for tower footing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rebar cage for tower footing
From: w9ol@billnjudy.com (FireBrick)
Date: Sun Aug 10 17:14:02 2003
A rebar cage sitting on gravel at the base of the hole is the same as
sitting on the dirt.
Moisture, seepage, that's what we want to protect the rebar from.

Gravel is suggested for tubular tower bases, where it is necessary to have a
drainage path for moisture/condensation that will build up inside the tower
tubes.

A concrete building footing may have gravel at the base, but the rebar is
still suspended inside the body of the concrete and is not to contact any
surface.