[TowerTalk] HARDHATS WHILE CLIMBING?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HARDHATS WHILE CLIMBING?
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Mon Aug 11 16:57:12 2003
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:35:46PM -0700, GALE STEWARD wrote:
> Was talking with a ham buddy and we somehow got on the
> subject of hardhats. I always wear one when part of
> the ground crew or usually when climbing with another
> person. However, when I climb my own tower solo, I
> usually wear the baseball type hat. I figure that I
> didn't leave anything up on the tower to fall and hit
> me. Probably not good thinking!

If you fall, but are attached to the tower with a fall
arrest harness, you might still very easily knock your
head into the tower or an antenna or something, leaving
you with a serious head injury and the need to still
descend the tower.

>                                 Anyway, I might be
> more inclined to wear one all the time if I had one
> that had a chin strap to hold it on. I've had the wind
> blow them off and had them fall off (lean out and look
> down). What's the collective wisdom out there? I'm
> sure that they are available with an arrangement to
> hold them on securely.

I've never had a problem with mine falling off, even
leaning way over - but I have mine adjusted so that it's
not loose.

If nothing else, you could probably make a chin strap out
of something elastic from a sewing store.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops