Re: [TowerTalk] BBC report on bird kills at towers

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BBC report on bird kills at towers
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:55:57 -0400
At 01:33 PM 8/22/2003 -0400, Eric Scace K3NA wrote:
>BBC World Service did an interview with a woman from US Fish and Wildlife
>Service about bird kills at communication towers.  It was
>short, a few minutes, about 25 minutes after the start of the "Outlook"
>program at 1700z.  One might find it on their website
>www.bbc.co.uk.
>
>The woman mentioned a single night in western Kansas during which 10,000
>songbirds were killed at a tower site.  The interviewer
>extrapolated to "millions of birds killed each year in North America".
>
>I don't have facts.  If there are facts which can put the matter in a better
>perspective, it might be worthwhile to comment back to
>BBC.  An archived story from a reputable news source can take on a life of its
>own...

 From FCC Daily Digest on 8/19/2003:

EFFECTS OF COMMUNICATIONS TOWERS ON MIGRATORY BIRDS.   Adopted this inquiry to
gather comment and information on the impact that communications towers may
have on migratory birds. (Dkt No.  03-187). Action by:  the Commission.
Adopted:  08/08/2003 by NOI. (FCC No. 03-205).  WTB
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-205A1.doc>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-205A2.doc>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-205A1.pdf>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-205A2.pdf>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-205A1.txt>
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-205A2.txt>

In the NOI the FCC says the facts are not clear and they're looking for more
input.

            -- Tom

e-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com    YCCC --> http://www.yccc.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444