[TowerTalk] da BBC boids.

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] da BBC boids.
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 07:19:46 -0000
I recall a BBC report a few years ago...also picked up by
the NY Times, btw, which indicated that the common house cat
in the UK was the greatest single predation source for
british songbirds.  Moreover, it estimated that they were
responsible for reducing the songbird population by something
like 40%.

Even THAT sounded a bit farfetched, but I suppose it could be
true, as I have no sense of their population of predatory birds.

With respect to RF field density and bird kills, I was thinking
specifically of TV broadcast stations and radar.  ERP's of
megawatts in the UHF band, in the case of the former, and
at L and X band in the case of the latter.

Consider that the ordinary microwave is something like 700w to
1 kw, around 800MHz.  Not sure of that frequency.

There is, after all, no licensing requirement for journalists.
All one can do is factually correct the errors and hope for the
best.

BBC world service has a reputation for following through on
e-mail complaints, though.  K3NA's post may be worth following
through on.

N2EA