Re: [TowerTalk] Cost of building W0IYH chokes

To: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cost of building W0IYH chokes
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:52:12 -0700
Expensive in an absolute sense, compared to a case of beer or wine.
However, how expensive is it in the context of the total station value?
And, do you really need 36 chokes?  For that kind of volume and scale of
installation, some work with a current probe and fabricating tuned traps
might be a better scheme.  You might also, in a custom installation kind of
sense, be able to custom design your chokes for a particular desired
performance.  Perhaps, a big toroid with multiple turns of the coax through
it might be a better solution... 10 turns through a toroid will have
inductance comparableto 100 single turns (i.e. pass through) a large bead.
Some time with the Fair-rite catalog might be well spent.