[TowerTalk] Re: An Enlightning Experience

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: An Enlightning Experience
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:11:10 +0000
When I had work done on my house wiring earlier this year, I had a whole house surge protector installed at the main panel, shunting to ground.

I also have a 115 v. circuit leaving the back of my house through the basement wall and extending out underground to my detached garage behind my house about 20 feet. It goes to an outlet in the garage and an overhead light. This circuit is switched on and off at my back door. I was feeling all safe and good until one day not too long ago, it dawned on me that the garage wires run in a line underground just about 2 feet from one of my ground rods for my vertical. In what can only be called a "duh what was I thinking" moment, I imagined a side flash from the rod to the wire and the frying of my house. Solutions were pondered and discarded. I'm having a guy come over to install outside outlets and one of the things we're going to do is look at the garage line and remove it in a way that will make it easy to undo the removal if I ever move and want to put the line back in.

I guess my point is, if any of you all are in old houses, you may have more than one AC entrance than at the service drop and until you deal with them, a whole house SPD won't necessarily save you.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ

Get MSN 8 and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus