Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ259B

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ259B
From: Rod Elliott <ve3irf@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:35:23 +0000
I agree with Jim re the older MFJ259. I've had mine about 5 years. I use it daily for tuning a transmatch on an antenna fed with ladder line. It has seen lots of action including several Field Day operations. It's SWR and frequency calibration have remained perfect, although over the years the R reading has slipped from 50 to 40 ohms at SWR=1:1. But I don't care... the R value is not needed for practical antenna tuning.

Re calibration standards, I believe an easier way is to solder two 100-ohm 1/4 or 1/10 watt resistors in parallel into a PL-259. With the smaller resistors you can achieve zero lead length between the pin and the solder holes in the shell, thus minimizing inductance. This way you get a compact, stable reference calibrated to 50 ohms plus or minus whatever the tolerance of the resistors (usually 1% these days). They show negligable reactance to well above 100 MHz. And, of course, they mount conveniently right on the MFJ259.

I've made these in 0-ohm, 50-ohm, 25-ohm, 100-ohm sizes. The 0-ohm is made with a very short piece of 12-AWG copper wire instead of resistors. Using the 25 and 100-ohm sizes should give a SWR reading of 2:1, so along with the 50-ohm unit, you get a good idea of the linearity of SWR readings below that point.

These standards tell me that my MFJ259 has stayed in excellent SWR calibration over the years, regardless of the aberrations of he R reading.

73
Rod Elliott VE3UW / VE3IRF