Re: [TowerTalk] measuring power, reference planes, and all that

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring power, reference planes, and all that
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:30:29 EDT
jimlux@earthlink.net writes:
>>No magic involved, just electronics.. And, for the first few goarounds,
while we're on the learning curve, the bottom line's going to be big.<<

Glad to see that you have all the "answers" :-)   How is that bottom line
going to drop?
Using SSB vs. AM analogy is way out. We are not talking here about resistance
to new things, we are talking huge advantages that only stubborn could not
see: 1/2 or less of the signal bandwidth, 1/4 of power required for the same
signal level, no huge modulators, transformers and duty cycle. See the
difference
between BC610 and TT Titan kW rigs? The bottom line is 20% of cost and 4x
signal advantage. If you can achieve similar feat, then you got a winner. Talk
is
cheap, results speak for themselves.

Some serious people were playing with antennas and radios for over some 100
years, antennas been around, amplifiers been around, your proposed solution did
not emerge as a winner (there are some applications, where justified, but at
a cost). As I mentioned, the reasons I see are: intermods in amp/ant modules,
TX vs. RX, complexity and cost. Do I want to pay more to get the same or less?
Not yet.

What we have now is better modeling and analysis of arrays and software
simulation, optimizing arrays for best TX and RX performance, better fitting of
arrays for propagation modes and flexibility to adapt. For those willing to
travel, taking advantage of geographical features to enhance performance of
antennas gives another benefit.

73 & GL!

Yuri, K3BU