[TowerTalk] Force 12 C3SS

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3SS
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 08:15:42 -0700
I replied to GeneBigham's request for experience reports on the C3SS. Perhaps others would benefit from my experience also. I also have a 36KB Excel spreadsheet that graphs the SWR on my installation; anyone interested is welcome to contact me.

Here was my reply to Gene:

Gene, I have a Force 12 model C3SS Triband beam antenna and I love it. True, I'd rather have a model C3 but my backyard property line proximity would have put some elements over into my neighbors side yard and I was fearful of that. So, I selected the (at that time) brand-new C3SS; I likely was one of the very first purchasers.

I made some comments on the assembly instructions to Force 12, with which they agreed and fixed in the new printed instructions. Otherwise, the assembly was easy. I absolutely love the pop rivets! I chose the dimensions shown for mid-phone band and these worked out well, requiring no further adjustment after first assembly. Be sure to liberally use the element joint compound supplied.

The beam-to-mast mounting is very clever and simple, consisting of two parts. One plate mounts securely on the mast and presents a single bolt stud on which the antenna boom plate is first placed; this stud supports the beam while the other bolts are inserted. This is very easy and can be done by one person. Ummm, one able-bodied person with a good belt/harness and two free hands...

I made a wood stick model with string for the coax to be sure I fully understood how to handle the beam while hoisting it up the tower.

When up, this antenna presents a small, thin view from the street, especially since there are no traps; the folded element is visible but not objectionably so. I put a static dissipater and plastic owl atop the mast above the beam. The owl is ineffective and who knows about the porcupine?

In LA, my severe weather is UV. I wrapped all the fiberglass rod insulators with black tape and further secured this with black tiewraps.

My C3SS is atop an old Tristao 60-foot motorized crankup tower; the antenna is at about 68 feet and uses a HyGain TailTwister rotor. There are no other antennas on this tower so the electrical installation is very "clean." I've been told this antenna has tuning problems if located near other beams or structures. My installation is a little low but otherwise nearly optimal.

I will attach an Excel spreadsheet showing the SWR I attained; these values have remained unchanged since installation in June, 1998. I'm feeding the balun with about 130 feet of Times LMR400U.

I'm completely satisfied with the performance of this antenna. True, I'd be better off with a full-size C3, but I can't do that and be fair to my neighbor. If you have a similar concern, then I recommend the C3SS without hesitation.

-- Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)