Re: [TowerTalk] To Permit or Not to Permit

To: "Bill Crews" <bcrews56@sprintmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, "ham-law related account" <ham-law@altlaw.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] To Permit or Not to Permit
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 22:12:43 -0700
Be careful with using the new California PRB-1 law, Bill. A friend
of mine pointed out to me that it doesn't apply to charter cities in
California. This includes places like Los Angeles, San Francisco,
and 103 others. This is outlined in a report on the bill (AB1228) by
the California Senate's legislative analyst:

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1201-1250/ab_1228_cfa_20030515_120602
_sen_comm.html

Snip>>>>>
3.   Not charter cities  .  The California Constitution lets
          charter cities control their own municipal affairs.  The
          105 charter cities must follow statewide laws only for
          issues of statewide concern when the Legislature has fully
          occupied the field.  The courts -- not the Legislature --
          interpret the Constitution and decide what's a municipal
          affair and what's an issue of statewide concern.  Further,
          the Planning and Zoning Law acknowledges that its zoning
          provisions don't apply to charter cities.  Because AB 1228
          does not declare that regulating the height of amateur
          radio antennas is an issue of statewide concern, the bill
          does not apply to charter cities.  If the Committee wants
          the bill to control charter cities, then it should insert a
          specific declaration that the Legislature considers antenna
          heights for antennas to be an issue of statewide concern
          and insert a persuasive recital of legislative findings to
          bolster that claim.  Even then, the courts must agree.

73 de Mike,