[TowerTalk] Traps and bugs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Traps and bugs
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:55:28 -0400
Hi all,
One of my TH7s started acting flaky recently, so I dropped the two
driven elements and took the traps apart.  I went through this
exercise 2-3 years ago for the same reason.  (I'd like to get the
parasitic elements down too to check them out, but too much of a
hassle to bring the whole antenna down). They were full of spider
eggs, grass clippings, etc. which detuned them. After cleaning, it
tuned fine again.

I wonder if anyone has a solution to prevent all this crud from
getting into the traps? One idea that occurred to me is putting small
squares of fiberglass window screen over each drain hole.  Has anyone
tried this, or any other thoughts?
73,
Barry W2UP--