[TowerTalk] Antenna Maintenance Thoughts

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Maintenance Thoughts
From: Tom Martin <tmartin@chartermi.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:30:47 -0500
I am sitting here at the computer reflecting on events of the last three hours at 80 feet in a bucket. I had to replace a Tailtwister and the driven element on the 40 meter beam. I decided not to wait until December cold weather, proper temps for most antenna work, and took advantage of the cloudy day and 65 degree temperature to take a ride in the bucket. What did I learn today?

1. Wear steel-toed boots even in a bucket. The new CATS RD-1800 slipped off the narrow shelf in the bucket and landed directly on my "tennie" covered right big toe. I could imagine the blood filling my shoe, but we had just started and, at $100 an hour, there was no time for injury assessment.

2. Always take two of everything with you to the top of the tower. I failed to bring an extra lockwasher of the proper size I needed for the coax feed to the beam. However, I had many extras for the rotor bolts!

3. Make sure that the 60' element is oriented in the right direction before heading up. The driver was right the first time and he doesn't know a thing about antennas!

I now have my foot in ice. No blood was shed but I have a very large and purple big toe! The rotor works great and no lousy Hygain brake to worry about. The 40 meter beam plays again like before the tornado.

It was worth the $300 for the crane.

I just hope I can play golf tomorrow with out wearing sandals.

73, Tom W8JWN