Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Question

To: Jerry Keller <k3bz@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Question
From: Phil - KB9CRY <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:52:44 -0500

Jerry Keller wrote:

Do I understand correctly....that the thrust bearing (a) takes the weight
off the rotor, Not Really and (b) allows removal of the rotor while leaving the
mast
and antennas in place?  Not Really again Any other purpose(s)?

I have the good fortune to have a tiltover tower, so I can install
everything while it's horizontal, with no load on the mast. is 1/2" enough
of a gap to leave in the mast-to-rotor connection?  That's what I do.

Do I then just tighten
the thrust bearing set-screws as tight as I can? The set screws only are used

to center the mast in the bearing, they really can't hold any weight.

Or is there more to it? (My
thrust bearing didn't come with instructions, and I've never done this
before.)

Jerry K3BZ

I have a 72 ft. tower with a 10 ft heavy wall mast, 5 ft in the tower and 5 ft above. On the mast is a KT34XA and a Ham IV rotator beneath. I set the mast in the rotator, bottoming it out. The rotator can handle the weight and many suggest some weight so the bearings in the rotator seat and wear evenly. The thrust bearing is on the tower top plate and the set screws merely center the mast withing the bearing. This is the setup without the antenna attached. Onto the mast, resting on the top of the thrust bearing is a stainless steel pipe clamp from McMaster Carr. This was firmly attached and then the antenna mounted onto the mast. So any additional weight from the antenna is partially borne by the thrust bearing. If I have to remove the rotator, which I have, I mount a screw jack on the top plate and use an extension block of wood to bear up onto the bottom of the antenna's boom to mast plate. As the mast and antenna are jacked up, I attach another clamp at the top of the bearing to hold the assembly up. I then attach a piece of Uni-strut, slotted steel channel to the mast below the top plate and up bolt it to the tower leg to hold the bottom of the mast in place. On my new tower I've mounted a second rotator plate beneath the top plate and above the rotator plate and this will serve this purpose. I must say that my assembly is rather simple since there is only the one antenna on the mast, etc. Capice? Phil KB9CRY