RE: [TowerTalk] Coax Resiliency

To: <mike@hatzakis.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Coax Resiliency
From: "Steven Gehring" <stevekz9g@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:21:29 -0700
Hi Michael,

You could cut off a couple of feet from each end and still be ok, I believe.
You could also check the cable with a megger, a piece of test equipment that
measures feed line insulation resistance.  If the insulation resistance
stays pegged (max megohms) on one of these while you crank it's built in
high voltage generator, your cable is good (indicating that water and
contaminant intrusion hadn't taken place).  Oh, you'd connect the megger to
the center conductor and the shield and then test it.

I'd imagine some amateur in your local ham club or vicinity has a military
surplus megger they would let you use.

GL,

Steven J. Gehring, KZ9G
Bothell, WA  98012