[TowerTalk] The Birds and the Wannabes (Was: Government Study)

To: K4BEV@aol.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] The Birds and the Wannabes (Was: Government Study)
From: Rick Tavan <tavan@tibco.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:37:49 -0700
Well, Don, you see, it's like this: Birds fly up in the air. Towers are up there, too. But towers aren't Natural, they are Human-Made. And that's a terrible problem. I mean, everything that is Human-Made is a terrible problem, but especially Big Ugly, Industrial Looking Towers. (And airports, too, but that's another story.) So back to your question: How would you like it if some larger species suddenly started changing Your Environment? Not much, eh? That's what I thought. And that's how the poor little birdies feel when these Big, Ugly, Industrial Looking Towers start springing up in Their Environment. They are probably traumatized to the point of defecating every time they perch on one. You wouldn't want this, would you? No! You want the birdy wirdies to defecate on top of Beautiful, Tall Trees where they always have. So every time someone proposes to erect a Big Ugly, Industrial Looking Tower, we should do a Big, Expensive Environmental Impact Study. Not because we expect to learn anything from the Big, Expensive Environmental Impact Study - we already know it will conclude that the Big Ugly, Industrial Looking Tower will cause Irreparable Harm to the Environment. In fact, we would prefer to outlaw Big Ugly, Industrial Looking Towers completely and permanently. But that would require changing the Almighty Building Codes and changing all those Almighty Building Codes is just as hard for Gentle, Good, Politically Correct Envrionmentalists as it is for Arrogant, Ugly Tower Builders. Not worth the trouble; detracts from hot tub time. However, in today's America, it is very easy to mandate Big, Expensive Environmental Impact Studies. Regulatory Authorities just love Big, Expensive Environmental Impact Studies because they can pass along the cost to the Despicable Petitioners who had the termerity to propose actually building something whereas the Authorities just want to get on to their Coffee Break. And Big, Expensive Environmental Impact Studies are among the best forms of evidence to the Public that the Authorities are Doing Something. And when Authorities Do Something, all is right with the world and we can snuggle into our jammies and sleep soundly, knowing, in this case, that eventually the request to erect a Big Ugly, Industrial Looking Tower in My Neighborhood ... I mean, in the Birdies Environment ... will be denied and eventually the Arrogant, Ugly Tower Builders will go away and build their Big Ugly, Industrial Looking Towers in Someone Else's Back Yard. And that will be good.

Got it?

73,

/Rick N6XI

P.S. I really do respect the environment and want to protect it within reason. But often our efforts to do so get out of hand. Advocacy in America today is so aggressive, one-sided and blind to other points of view that the art of compromise is all but lost.

K4BEV@aol.com wrote:

Are the birds crashing into the towers, or being fried by the Mega Watt signals?
Or maybe the big RF screws their nav systems up enough that they crash.

Birds love my tower.
Early every spring the TH-7 becomes a Humming Bird perch and is covered with the little dudes. There is almost always at least one, of one kind or the other, of the feathered mess makers up there. Not 1 dead bird in the yard though.

There's bound to be something else going on here. How about hetrodynes?

73, Don - K4BEV