Re: [TowerTalk] antennas and buildings

To: Stephen Reichlyn <Stephen.Reichlyn@ryansci.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antennas and buildings
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:14:29 -0700
At 03:14 PM 9/29/2003 -0400, Stephen Reichlyn wrote:
I've done a quick search of the Internet and can find almost no information
about the effect of mounting an antenna (vertical) in near proximity to a two or three
story house (wood). What degree of signal blocking takes place in the direction of the house

I don't know that any blocking, per se, would occur for an HF antenna. The house is of dimensions comparable to a wavelength and in the near field. I can say that from a theoretical and a practical experience standpoint that the pattern WILL change, but whether for the better or worse, it's hard to say. (well... almost certainly for the worse, given that the house is a lossy structure, so some RF power will be dissipated.)

COnsider also that the house might be wood, but it probably has:
1) foil insulation
2) pipes
3) electrical wiring
all of which have some effect on the antenna.

One way to do a rough and ready evaluation would be to build a simple NEC model of the antenna, then add a rough box the size of the house made of lossy wires (just make the resistance fairly high) or even with not-so-lossy wires, and see how much current is induced. I've done this to evaluate, for instance, whether the rain gutter is going to be a problem. Good for a qualitative check (no current induced= no rf effect) but I wouldn't bet on the quantitative results.

You might find that the house acts as a parasitic director and the gain is actually increased in the direction of the house.

(if any?). Any info, real or anecdotal, would be appreciated.

73,
Steve AA4V

Stephen Reichlyn
Ryan Scientific, Inc.