[TowerTalk] BPL

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] BPL
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@prexar.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:33:30 +0000
Last week, KQ2M and I had an interesting exchange of thoughts about BPL that set me to thinking. The "set-up" is that I live in a hollow in rural area, cable TV runs .7 miles from my house, I am within 18,000' of the phone CO and there is a WISP (wireless internet provider @ 2.4 GHz) but I can't "see" their nodes.

The cable company won't wire our road as the density isn't great enough. Verizon will not allocate funds to build out DSL even though they are optical to the CO from Keene. I don't have a wireless access point I can see.

If the cable company, Verizon and WISP won't allocate the funds to build out broadband in my area, even though they already have 90% of the infrastructure built-out, why would the power company? One of the promises of BPL is to bring broadband to those who can't get it now.

In the past, Venture capital companies have thrown billions of dollars at all kinds of cockamamie ideas. Are they still?

Power companies survive on providing us power and have few other revenue streams
73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209
RINDGE NH 03461