Re: [TowerTalk] The tower base is poured BUT...

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>,"David Giuliani" <David@Giuliani.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The tower base is poured BUT...
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:16:02 -0700
If the PE is recommending that you go 5 times!! deeper than the
manufacturers specs, I would want to review his calculations
to see why he is wanting to go so deep. As Jim says, it certainly
sounds like a very strong installation, but it also sounds like
bocque overkill for a ham tower (David, have you received a
cost estimate on the augering yet).

BTW, here's on for all of the PE/civil engineer's out there.
How does one calculate the max overturning force that a
cylindrical reinforced concrete column can take? Do you
assume a homogenous material with a yield strength of 3
to 5 Kpsi, or is it more complicated than that (e.g. does
tensile/compressive strength of the rebar come into play)?