[TowerTalk] t-150 aluma tower

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] t-150 aluma tower
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:14:14 -0500
Earlier this year I purchased a used Aluma Tower t-150, this is their A & B
section which makes it the smallest foot print Aluma makes.  I have a Cushcraft
A3S on it mounted on top of the rotator which is mast mounted on the very top
of the top section.  The mast is short and there is a small vhf/uhf beam above
the A3S.

I also found a very good 12vdc electric winch t-1500 that is rated for 1,500
lbs. and has powered forward and reverse, dynamic braking, and freespooling.  I
am considering mounting the winch to the side of the house at about the
midpoint of the outer tower section height and attaching the winch to the tower
so that it might be used to lower and raise again the tower/antenna assembly by
the winch.  The tower base has a couple of aluminum hinges anchored in concrete
and around the bottom rung which allows for tilt over.  The tower is house
bracketed at about the 16 foot level and has two additional small stainless
cable guys to eye hooks in the house.

It was erected with two people walking the completely assembled tower/antennas
up while a third pulled on a rope through a large eye hook in the house at
about the level I am thinking of placing the winch.  This method was a bit
precarious and exhausting work.  The winch would take most of the work out of
lowering and raising, and two persons could use the existing guys and eye hooks
with ropes attached to each in order to control lateral movement of the tower
as it goes down or up.

Any thoughts, comments, experiences?

Thanks Gene Bigham, KB0GU.