Re: [TowerTalk] Running coax into the basement

To: N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Running coax into the basement
From: WA2BPE <wa2bpe@infoblvd.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:11:05 -0400
I use PVC pipe (size as required - use 1/2 to 4" here) - run a piece 12-18"
thru the header and clamp it to a joist (or whatever) using a conduit clamp.
On the outside, I use a 45° street
el.  This is cemented to the straight piece before running it thru the wall and
is caulked with silicone RTV.  If you need (or want) more of a bend, a section
of a sweep works well too.  If
you have Vinyl siding, it is best to install one of the plates used for
mounting electrical outlets, etc. to allow the vinyl to move (as it needs to).
After running the cables (be sure to
have a drip loop), just stuff the remaining space with foam plastic or
fiberglass insulation - recess it it, say, 1/2" to keep it dry.  I have used
this method for 25+ years with zero
problems - water, bugs, etc..  Your idea of using a pipe cap is "OK", but it is
nearly impossible to really seal the coax to it without damage and water has a
way of going where it wants.

Tom - WA2BPE

dan bookwalter wrote:

> How are people getting their coax into the shack in
> the basement ?? i was thinking of using 4" pvc pipe
> with a cap on the outside with holes drilled for coax
> and sealing around each coax run with rtv when i put
> them in ....
>
> thanks
>
> Dan N8DCJ

> http://shopping.yahoo.com
> ---
> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Information Boulevard's Virus Scanning]

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Information Boulevard's Virus Scanning]